- Mohandas Karamchand Gandhi was born on 2nd October, 1869, in Porbandar - a coastal city in the Indian state of Gujarat.
- Mohandas was married to Kasturbai Makhanji in May 1833, when he was only 13 years old while Kasturbai was only 14.
- At the age of 18, Gandhi went to London, England, where he studied law at the University College London and went on to become a barrister.
- His experiences in South Africa brought about a realization of social injustice prevailing in the society in him, and this turned out to be a catalyst for his social activism.
- When he returned to India, he saw the same discrimination in the country and this made him take part in the Movement for India's Independence. Eventually, he spearheaded the Movement and forced the British to leave India.
- Mahatma Gandhi was assassinated by a Hindu nationalist - Nathuram Godse on 30th January, 1948.
- All throughout his life, Mahatma Gandhi practiced non-violence and truth, and advocated the need to follow these principles.
Tuesday, April 26, 2011
Mahatma Gandhi Facts for Kids
While the Gandhi facts given above included some of the most interesting aspects of his life, it would be too much to expect kids to understand the intricacies involved in these facts. That being said, here are some simple facts about Mahatma Gandhi which will give the kids an insight of the life of Mahatma Gandhi.